A Flowery Jumper for Baby Grace.

I have come to the conclusion, that I spend more time looking for patterns… than I actually do making the item! I get a set image in my mind and spend hours looking for a pattern that matches that image. Which…. is a very silly thing to do!

So what do you do?….. you make it up as you go along… obviously.

I started from the top, making a long chain, increasing at four individual points to make it form the jumper-like shape. I am sure there must be some word for that method, but I have no idea what it is. (Please tell me if you know).

dscn7436

I was originally going to have it as a cardigan, but half way through got bored and joined up the two ends…. turning into a jumper. After a few rows of nothing but half double crochet (hdc) I got bored yet again and decided to get creative.

I went online in search of a pretty stitch I could use to create a border and found a stitch that looked like a row of flowers. I now can’t find the tutorial I used… or even remember how I done the stitch. If I can rediscover the tutorial I will link it!….

dscn7437
Pretty little flower stitch!

I got a little bit carried away on the arms and ended up making the first one rather long…. so I just made the second one long as well and folded it over… which I think looks rather adorable anyway.

When I finished I thought the neck bit looked a little boring. The solution? A pretty little collar!… I’m a little obsessed with collars. I just done a couple rows of half double crochet around the neck line and finished it off with a wavy border.

The outcome.. a pretty flowery jumper for a 0-3 month old.

What did I learn?

Randomly making up a pattern as you go along… actually takes longer than looking for a pattern which doesn’t exist.

Next time, I should draw up a design and brief instructions before starting on the project. I should also write what I’m doing so I can replicate the same pattern again! I should….. but… knowing me I probably wont.

 

Advertisements

Pretty Premi

I had been having problems throughout my pregnancy with something called ‘Placenta Praevia’. It’s a condition where the placenta decides to be awkward and attaches itself to the bottom of the womb. I was 25 weeks pregnant and doctors were unsure whether or not I would make it to full term. Luckily, it was only partially blocking the cervix and moved out of the way as baby Grace grew. Now at 38 weeks… I’m dreading going over term! I have an appointment on the 16th March 2017 to be induced… but lets hope she comes before then!

Anyway…. back to topic. As I was under risk of having a tiny baby, I thought it would be a good idea to make a tiny baby dress.

I got the pattern for this dress here… but made my own alterations to decrease the size. It’s made with 4ply wool and a teeny tiny  hook… making it rather time consuming. The outcome however is adorable! Although, as baby Grace is now estimated to weigh about 6.4lb… there is no way that this tiny dress is going to fit.

I also knitted a teedscn7434ny tiny hat and a teeny tiny pair of gloves, which baby Grace will no longer fit into. I am sure however that they will not go to waste and there will be a tiny baby girl in the hospital’s NICU who these would look adorable on.

I must admit… there is something about making premi baby clothes… and these certainly wont be my last tiny projects.